[arch-general] KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Jun 17 11:21:02 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Well,
>
> 	So far kde4 will not even install. After starting the install last night and
> going to bed. I woke to thousands of lines of:
>
> /usr/share/doc/kde/html/en/ksnapshot/window.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
> ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
> ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
> ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
> ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
> ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/ksnapshot.svgz exists in both
> 'kdegraphics-ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/bin/okular exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/include/okular/core/action.h exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and
> 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/include/okular/core/annotations.h exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and
> 'kdegraphics'
> /usr/include/okular/core/area.h exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and
> 'kdegraphics'
>
> 	Evidently kde4 saw and conflict with the kde3 packages and didn't install
> anything. The last line of the output was:
>
> Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
>
> 	Talk about a bummer.... What does the brain-trust suggest?

This is not a conflict between kde4 and kde3.  You can tell because the
kde3 packages are all prefixed with kdemod3-*, which does not appear here.

This is a conflict between KDE4 and KDE4-unstable.  I'd try resolving it
by completely uninstalling all the KDE(4) packages and then reinstalling
them (this time from kde-unstable).

DR