[arch-general] Installing kde-unstable with existing kdemod3 - Perfect Receipe

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:29:44 EDT 2009

On Friday 19 June 2009 12:26:33 am David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates;
>
> 	They say 3rd time is the charm...

<snip>

	Just a bit of follow-up on the kde-unstable install on my laptop. I have
driven it hard today, and I am really impressed. Even on the laptop with the
old radeon X1200 running on the radeonhd driver, things work really, really
well. There are a few peculiarities, (like having to turn on compositing
twice, and a few others) but kde4.3 beta2 works really well on Arch (better in
some respects than on the suse platform -- the kiss philosophy really pays
off)

	Just one note. If you have removed kdemod3 before installing kde-unstable and
then you re-install kdemod3, you will need to change the DAEMONS line in
/etc/rc.conf to call kdm3 instead of kdm to get the kdemod3 session type
choice back. (I know you can configure kdm to do that, but I haven't got that
far)

	Now if the radeonhd driver handled cooling/powerdown better or Arch was able
to get the fglrx driver ironed out, my laptop would stay pure Arch. But 3rd
degree palm burns are nothing to scoff at ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC