[arch-general] vi from testing has gone nuts - does not honor virc/~.virc settings

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 10:41:41 EDT 2009

On Mon 22 Jun 2009 14:12 +0100, Scot Becker wrote:
> > Very true. You should keep up with development if you're going to be
> > running [testing] and be prepared to struggle through any issues.
> > Problems shouldn't come as a total surprise anyways.
>
> Sure.  But 'struggling though any issues" doesn't mean he has to do it
> without our help, no? I'm new here, but I'm not sure I agree with
> Gridorios sentiments exactly.  David should indeed "expect issues"
> (and issues exactly of this kind, and worse) if he goes to [testing],
> but he's still invited to solicit help, and those who think he's
> beyond his depth, or who can make better use of their time
> contributing elsewhere, needn't bother themselves to respond.

Sure, but you shouldn't complain about what happens to you if you jump
into a river full of pirahnas, without first educating yourself about
them (and how to protect yourself).

> Is there a way for him to try the new 'dmraid' without going the whole
> way and migrating to [testing].  This would also be useful for him
> (and me) to know.

Pretty simple. Enable testing, install dmraid, disable testing.
Then your testing is limited to those packages only.

Don't --sync --sysupgrade on testing.