[arch-general] vi from testing has gone nuts - does not honor virc/~.virc settings

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Jun 22 13:07:35 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 12:06 -0400, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Listmates, Devs:
> >
> > 	I upgraded to testing to test the new dmraid.
>
> Just my personal opinion here, and perhaps the devs will disagree, but
> personally I wouldn't suggest upgrading your entire box to testing.  If
> you only want to kick the tires on one package from testing, then
> probably best to only install that.
>
> One of the things I like about Arch is how it keeps me on the cutting
> edge with very up-to-date versions of all the packages, but still
> manages to keep my system very stable.  IMO, if you bump everything up
> to testing, you're going to lose a lot of that wonderful stability.
>
> DR

Using testing to -Syu your system every day, you should be a frequent
reader of arch-dev-public, simple as that. Anything in testing could be
broken, that's why it's testing. We abuse testing for testing out
packages, but also for big todo tasks.
I use testing on my system to do a pacman -Syu daily, but when the
readline rebuilds started to enter testing, I decided to wait a bit
before upgrading.