[arch-general] vi from testing has gone nuts - does not honor virc/~.virc settings

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 04:14:17 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM, David Rosenstrauch<darose at darose.net> wrote:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>
>> Listmates, Devs:
>>
>>        I upgraded to testing to test the new dmraid.
>
> Just my personal opinion here, and perhaps the devs will disagree, but
> personally I wouldn't suggest upgrading your entire box to testing.  If you
> only want to kick the tires on one package from testing, then probably best
> to only install that.
>
> One of the things I like about Arch is how it keeps me on the cutting edge
> with very up-to-date versions of all the packages, but still manages to keep
> my system very stable.  IMO, if you bump everything up to testing, you're
> going to lose a lot of that wonderful stability.

The only problem is that you can not always upgrade just one package.
Sometimes you also need to upgrade a set of related packages.
And in case of big rebuild, that set might be the whole testing repo.

As long as you are skilled enough to determine which packages you can
safely pick from testing, there is no problem.