[arch-general] vi from testing has gone nuts - does not honor virc/~.virc settings

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Jun 23 04:38:49 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 10:14 +0200, Xavier wrote:
> The only problem is that you can not always upgrade just one package.
> Sometimes you also need to upgrade a set of related packages.
> And in case of big rebuild, that set might be the whole testing repo.
>
> As long as you are skilled enough to determine which packages you can
> safely pick from testing, there is no problem.

That's why you should follow arch-dev-public. At this moment we have a
massive readline rebuild sitting in testing. So when you pacman -S one
package from testing that pulls in readline, you know you're in trouble
if you don't update everything.
This issue will hit people also when the new readline moves to core btw.
People will install a single package on their outdated system, pacman
pulls in new readline, deletes old libraries and everything is dead,
system unbootable, chroot not even possible as the shell binary is
killed by missing readline.