[arch-general] readline GPL violation on two pkgs?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:13:19 EDT 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009 11:01:18 am Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> > To paraphrase what Thomas said to me: This is all free software, we
> > should be able to use free software with other free software, damnit.
>
> And you are! You *are* free to use any free software with any other.
> The only problem is with distribution of binary/compiled/linked packages :)
>
> Install everything from ABS and you are 100% legit
>

> > It seems to go against the spirit to do things like this. I like this
> > sentiment. I mean, I get that there are zealots out there who strongly
> > believe in their Chosen License as if it were a soccer team, but
> > seriously - it's all free software, and we may be subtly violating the
> > letter of the license, but the letter of the license is violating the
> > _spirit_ of the license.

1.	Start Here: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/

	 Note: GPLv3 is not compatible with GPLv2 *by itself*. However, *most software* released under GPLv2 allows you to use the terms of later versions of the GPL as well. When this is the case, you can use GPL2 code under GPLv3 to make the desired combination. The *only time* you may not be able to combine code under two GPL licenses is when you want to use code that's *only* under an older version of a license with code that's under a newer version.

HOW DO YOU TELL?

2.	Read the GPL V2 license included with whatever package or library you are looking at. Go to section 9 of the GPLV2 license included with the code. If section 9 reads:

"  9. The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new versions
of the General Public License from time to time.  Such new versions will
be similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in detail to
address new problems or concerns.

Each version is given a distinguishing version number.  If the Program
specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any
later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions
either of that version or of any later version published by the Free
Software Foundation.  If the Program does not specify a version number of
this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software
Foundation."

	Then no mixed licensing issue apply and the GPL2 code can be used without issue in GPL3 release code. Only if the paragraph:

"Each version is given a distinguishing version number.  If the Program
specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any
later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions
either of that version or of any later version published by the Free
Software Foundation.  If the Program does not specify a version number of
this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software
Foundation."

	is *NOT* included in the GLP2 license of the code you want to use, then check the compatibility matrix below to determine if a compatibility issue exists:

	http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility

3.	If, and only if, a compatibility issues still remains after you have completed steps 1 & 2, then you will need to contact the author for permission to re-license.

P.S. Note: nothing contained here constitutes legal advise, rather it is simply a handy reference with the applicable links and text provided to allow you to analyze whether a potential for a licensing conflict exists.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC