[arch-general] cryptsetup and udev

Henri Häkkinen henrih81 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 15:04:16 EST 2009

Hello,

I am trying to setup udev to automatically open a LUKS partition of my
external USB drive once it is plugged in. I have written the following udev
rules script:

ACTION="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}="partition", ENV{ID_SERIAL}="<serial number of
the drive>", RUN+="/usr/sbin/cryptsetup --key-file /etc/keyfile luksOpen
/dev/%k usbhd"
ACTION="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}="partition", ENV{ID_SERIAL}="<serial number of
the drive>", RUN+="/usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksClose usbhd"

Udev seems to recognize my drive but instead of creating /dev/mapper/usbhd I
get some nonsense like /dev/mapper/temporary-cryptsetup-7501 or similar. I
don't know what this is but it seems not to work when I try to mount it. Any
ideas?

--
Henri Häkkinen