[arch-general] cryptsetup and udev

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 7 15:43:25 EST 2009

Henri Häkkinen schrieb:
> ACTION="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}="partition", ENV{ID_SERIAL}="<serial number of
> the drive>", RUN+="/usr/sbin/cryptsetup --key-file /etc/keyfile luksOpen
> /dev/%k usbhd"
> ACTION="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}="partition", ENV{ID_SERIAL}="<serial number of
> the drive>", RUN+="/usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksClose usbhd"
>
> Udev seems to recognize my drive but instead of creating /dev/mapper/usbhd I
> get some nonsense like /dev/mapper/temporary-cryptsetup-7501 or similar. I
> don't know what this is but it seems not to work when I try to mount it. Any
> ideas?

cryptsetup creates this device to be able to access the key storage,
then extracts the key and closes it again (you should not try to access
this temporary-cryptsetup-XXXX device, as writing to it might destroy
your LUKS header). This means that cryptsetup hangs in the middle of the
process here.
I am not entirely sure what the problem is, only that I wouldn't perform
such an operation inside a udev rule, as udev opens the device several
times to get labels, UUIDs and so on. Isn't it possible for you to use
pmount to mount the device (pmount can open LUKS automatically)?