[arch-general] udev-139 and file permissions of /dev/net/tun

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Tue Mar 10 16:44:17 EDT 2009

On Dienstag, 10. März 2009 21:06 Thomas Bächler wrote:

First, thank you very much for the excellent informations.

> The permissions of /dev/net/tun do not matter at all. If you access the
> device, you will only be able to use those interfaces that you own.

Yes, that is what i now understand better.

> These devices are simply copied in rc.sysinit line 23:
> /bin/cp -a /lib/udev/devices/* /dev/
> udev rules are not applied until the module is loaded and a uevent for
> creating the device is issued, then udev reads the rule(s) and acts
> accordingly.

The funny thing what i recognized too as i looks more in /lib/udev/devices is
that there the loop devices has "root:root, 0666" but in my /dev they
have "root:disk, 0660". The reason seams that because i use my own kernel
package with "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y" instead of "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m".

But again, i was only wondering not afraid about it.-) And to say something
good at the end about the last updates: Thanks a lot for activating VIRTIO in
kernel26.

See you, Attila