[arch-general] udev-139 and file permissions of /dev/net/tun

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 10 17:20:56 EDT 2009

Attila schrieb:
>> These devices are simply copied in rc.sysinit line 23:
>> /bin/cp -a /lib/udev/devices/* /dev/
>> udev rules are not applied until the module is loaded and a uevent for
>> creating the device is issued, then udev reads the rule(s) and acts
>> accordingly.
>
> The funny thing what i recognized too as i looks more in /lib/udev/devices is
> that there the loop devices has "root:root, 0666" but in my /dev they
> have "root:disk, 0660". The reason seams that because i use my own kernel
> package with "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y" instead of "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m".

I have root:disk in /lib/udev/devices/loop/ and in /dev/loop/.

I am thinking about creating only /dev/loop/0 and /dev/loop0, as that is
the only one needed: Once you access the first loop device, the module
is loaded and more are created. But then, that can wait until the next
release.

> But again, i was only wondering not afraid about it.-) And to say something
> good at the end about the last updates: Thanks a lot for activating VIRTIO in
> kernel26.

Not my work, but you're welcome.