[arch-general] On rolling release system and its benefits.

Biru Ionut biru.ionut at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 20:29:41 EDT 2009

Ali H. Caliskan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Arch since few months and I enjoy using it everyday that
> goes by. However, during that time, while helping Arch users on the forum,
> I've encountered some issues concerning upgrades and broken packages.

what broken packages? if archlinux provides vanilla packages and doesn't
provide custom made configuration, doesn't mean that are broken.

> I personally think Arch is stable and well maintained compared to other big
> distros, but that's a rolling release stability, that lasts only few days or
> weeks.

how come for a lot of people can last years? you made me think that you
are the problem.

> What I would like Arch developers is to extend the rolling release
> into a snapshot release of an entire list of officially maintained packages,
> comprising both core and extra branches. At least it would be a great way of
> using Arch for 5 to 6 moths and then upgrade to a next snapshot release.

that will make archlinux like fedora,mandriva,ubuntu. it will kill
archlinux for ever.

> I'm not talking about stable releases, just a snapshot of a rolling state.
> Snapshot releases does also benefit the natural need of closing bugs. Not to
> mention, it does make it easy to maintain orphaned packages as well.

archlinux is a rolling release distribution. that was my first
motivation when i switch to archlinux. i like archlinux the way is it
now. personally i don't want developers to change anything. leave it
like this :)

--
Ionut