[arch-general] freetype2 with enabled tt bytecode interpreter, license issues?

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 4 17:34:51 EDT 2009

Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 22:44 +0200, Attila wrote:
>
>> On Montag, 4. Mai 2009 18:17 Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>>

>>> Personally in my machine, I recompiled this package without the patch, I
>>> prefer the auto-hinting from freetype2, because fonts looks better (at
>>> least on CRT), I know that this can be configured with fontconf, but
>>> because some programs/libs based on xpdf libs (example poppler*, kpdf),
>>> look at headers at compile time instead of using fontconfig I recompile
>>> these packages too.
>>>
>> Nice to see that you prefer auto-hinting as mine. I config this with
>> fontconfig and thought i'm on the safe side but you say that this is not good
>> for kdpf and so on. Do you have background informations about it and what is
>> the list of apps which do you recompile?
>>
>> I suggest that everyone who never used auto-hinting should test to see if this
>> patch is necessary or not. Personally i support to deactivate the patch but i
>> know that fonts be even a very individually piece of choice and prefer a
>> democratic decision.
>>
>> See you, Attila
>>

> Deactivating the patch can be done by fontconfig configuration, so you
> don't have to recompile freetype at all for this.

Yes and no.

Yes, for code that uses fontconfig. But in the real world :(, not all
code use fontconfig (or at least in all parts), example of this are
software that used the mentioned xpdf (splash engine): poppler*, kpdf, ...

splash/SplashFTFont.cc:
   182    // if we have the FT2 bytecode interpreter, autohinting won't
be used
   183  #ifdef
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
   184    if (FT_Load_Glyph(ff->face,
gid,
   185                      aa ? FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP : FT_LOAD_DEFAULT))
{
   186      return
gFalse;
   187    }

> As for the licensing: AFAIK even Debian ships with the bytecode
> interpreter enabled these days.

If Debian GNU/Linux have this, then no issues have with it :)

Thanks.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar