[arch-general] xorg crash with setxkbmap frequently use

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Tue May 5 00:42:34 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

X server crashes randomly with the following error:

 [xkb] BOGUS LENGTH in write keyboard desc, expected 5576, got 5592

Graphic card is Intel G965, driver xf86-video-intel, tried both from
[extra] and [testing].

I'm using the Caps_Lock key to change the keyboard layout via
a script. I do not want to use

 "grp:caps_toggle"

in xkb options since I need to do something else besides just layout
switching. My bash script toggles between layouts running

 "setxkbmap -layout us" or
 "setxkbmap -layout ru"

commands depending on the current one. Once in a while X server crashes
on the toggling. Before I used the "stock" method "grp:caps_toggle",
and it never crashed.

Google finds several bug reports with the similar error string, but
they are not related to layout switching.

Thanks for ideas!

Sergey.