[arch-general] New vi/vim/gvim in testing requires intervention

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed May 6 07:07:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 07:54 -0300, André Ramaciotti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a question about this new vi package. Am I the only one having
> problems when openning UTF-8 files? I can't even type words with
> diacritics or vi will abort. For example, try to create a file with
> the following and then open it with the new vi package:
>
> This line will render fine
> Mas essa aqui não ("but this one won't" in Portuguese).
>
> I know that config files from Arch don't have diacritics, but I don't
> think that putting this vi package in core will be a good idea.
>
> (The new vim package is working fine, though.)

vi is just a bare editor which has its limits. One of them is not being
able to use the cursor keys while you're in insert mode for example.
This issue is known on many platforms: other linux distributions,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc. They all have nvi or some other vi clone in the
base system.
If you want support for non-ASCII charsets and other things offered by
vim, just install vim.