[arch-general] Must i do the toolchain update or can i wait

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Wed May 6 16:50:41 EDT 2009

On Mittwoch, 6. Mai 2009 22:07 Pierre Schmitz wrote:

> At least gcc-libs of 4.4 is not compatible with the one from 4.3. So some
> apps mght stop working when compiled with 4.4 and running on a system with
> 4.3.

Hmm, than the update is more a must than a "could be", thanks for the info.

> So you either update to 4.4 (why not? where is the problem?) or stop
> updating at all.

Okay, the second point is not what i want. -)

Perhaps i see a problem which is not a problem and i try to ask about what is
the most important point for me: Do i have to recompile my local packages (at
example qt3 or kde3*) after i do this update (gcc 4.3->4.4) because there is
a so bump? If not, than i don't have to prevent the update because the nr.1
for me is to avoid having no GUI.

See you, Attila