[arch-general] Must i do the toolchain update or can i wait

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed May 6 17:25:49 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 22:50 +0200, Attila wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 6. Mai 2009 22:07 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>
> > At least gcc-libs of 4.4 is not compatible with the one from 4.3. So some
> > apps mght stop working when compiled with 4.4 and running on a system with
> > 4.3.
>
> Hmm, than the update is more a must than a "could be", thanks for the info.
>
> > So you either update to 4.4 (why not? where is the problem?) or stop
> > updating at all.
>
> Okay, the second point is not what i want. -)
>
> Perhaps i see a problem which is not a problem and i try to ask about what is
> the most important point for me: Do i have to recompile my local packages (at
> example qt3 or kde3*) after i do this update (gcc 4.3->4.4) because there is
> a so bump? If not, than i don't have to prevent the update because the nr.1
> for me is to avoid having no GUI.
>
> See you, Attila

gcc 4.4 is ABI compatible with 4.3 binaries, so this means you can
compile and run software with 4.4 against libraries that were compiled
against 4.3 without noticable problems. It appears you can load kernel
modules compiled with 4.4 into a kernel that is built with 4.3, so even
on the kernel side the compatibility is there, which is something I
never expected to have.