[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] (partially) Inactive

Nicolas Bigaouette nbigaouette at gmail.com
Thu May 7 09:55:08 EDT 2009

Have you guys heard of corkscrew? I can tunnel ssh through an http proxy
server... In my unversity they block completely your net account if you
don't report your MAC address to them. When you do, they give you a static
ip. For desktop thats fine, you give them the MAC when you buy your machine,
set your ip, and forget it. But for laptops its a pain.

When you connect a new machine to the network, you only have access to the
internal unisersity's website. Once you set up the proxy, you can go
elsewhere. But the proxy is slllllooooooowww...

Anyway, that does not solve your issue of incoming connection. It might for
outgoing connections.
I had to ask personnaly the IT dep, with support from my supervisor, for
opening a single port (SSH) on our server. Lenghty process...