[arch-general] Gnome - Nautilus and Evolution, Fresh Install

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon May 11 03:48:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> I have just completed a new install using the latest Install/Live CD 2009.02
>
> I followed the Beginners Guide (exactly :)  including the update.
>
> I continued until I finished with install Xorg and Gnome.
>
> After setting up .xinitrc to run Gnome I issued a startx to start Xorg and
> Gnome.
>
> 1.    When clicking the "Users home dir icon" to launch Nautilus and
> browsing to test it, I then clicked the "X" to stop the app from running (
> upper right on the window ) Nautilus crashed and Gnome restarted, cleared
> the desktop (refreshed) and  generated a bug report to be set to gnome.org
> (via bug buddy).

I have personally not had that problem.  What architecture are you on?

> 2.    After installing Evolution ans running the app I made some errors when
> I initially set it up for my imap server.  Clicking/running from the
> Edit->Preferences menu caused evolution to crash  and generating a bug
> report.   I can not use the Edit->Preferences menu at all, making the
> evolution installation worthless as I can not change any settings.

This is likely to be an evolution problem rather than a general Gnome
problem.  In my experience evolution is, unfortunately, broken on many
distros.

> How stable is Gnome on Arch Linux?

I've been using it since I installed Arch and have had no stability
issues with it.

/M