[arch-general] Gnome - Nautilus and Evolution, Fresh Install

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Sun May 10 20:53:27 EDT 2009

I have just completed a new install using the latest Install/Live CD 2009.02

I followed the Beginners Guide (exactly :)  including the update.

I continued until I finished with install Xorg and Gnome.

After setting up .xinitrc to run Gnome I issued a startx to start Xorg
and Gnome.

1.    When clicking the "Users home dir icon" to launch Nautilus and
browsing to test it, I then clicked the "X" to stop the app from running
( upper right on the window ) Nautilus crashed and Gnome restarted,
cleared the desktop (refreshed) and  generated a bug report to be set to
gnome.org (via bug buddy).

2.    After installing Evolution ans running the app I made some errors
when I initially set it up for my imap server.  Clicking/running from
the Edit->Preferences menu caused evolution to crash  and generating a
bug report.   I can not use the Edit->Preferences menu at all, making
the evolution installation worthless as I can not change any settings.

How stable is Gnome on Arch Linux?

I need to move from KDE3 to Gnome until KDE4 is finished and debugged.

Comments/Fixes Anyone?

Thanks