[arch-general] hal has lost its mind again.

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon May 18 13:42:41 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. wrote:
> Why in the heck the following wasn't good enough escapes me at present:
>
>         <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>
>
>         <match user="david">
>                 <return result="yes"/>
>         </match>
>
> That's says let *me* do anything with anything (twice I might add). I guess in
> addition to giving yourself global authorization you also have to give
> yourself specific authorization as well.
>
> Also, why do you have .eject-removable commented out?

I really have no idea.  I don't even understand this console kit/policy
kit stuff, frankly.

But in a nutshell, when you take out all the comments, my policy kit
file essentially boils down to:

<config version="0.1">
         <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
                 <return result="yes"/>
         </match>
</config>

Dunno ... seems to work.  Have you tried that?

BTW, maybe it's not sufficient to restart hal, since theis isn't
technically a HAL file, but rather a policy kit file.  So I'd suggest
logging out and then in again after the change.

HTH,

DR