[arch-general] Building local repo - eliminating dups - why some new x86_64?

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Tue May 19 20:28:06 EDT 2009

2009/5/19 Sébastien Duquette <ekse.0x at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another solution is to have all computers using only one  pacman cache
>> located on a single computer via nfs. So once a computer has
>> downloaded a packages, all the other ones can grab it directly from
>> the local network.
>
> I might be wrong but I think pacman is downloading the packages
> directly to the cache directory. This might cause problem if the
> download starts on one host and is started on another host before the
> download is done. pacman will then report the package as corrupted but
> doesn't try to redownload it automatically. It won't do any harm but
> it can get anoying if you have a large number of systems.
>
> Sébastien

I believe you are correct.  I only used that setup to share source
cache when building packages.  However, I was the only user and was
building on one machine at a time (I only have two). So I didn't
encounter this multiple download problem.  Perhaps  the method I
proposed is more suitable for cases when there only one or very few
users.

Eric