[arch-general] namcap

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon May 25 07:02:58 EDT 2009

Baho Utot wrote:
> I tried namcap a freshly built fakeroot from the latest abs sync
>
> Here is what it said
>
> namcap fakeroot-1.12.2-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> fakeroot   E: Dependency detected and not included (bash) from files
> ['usr/bin/fakeroot']
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included but already satisfied (glibc)
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included and not needed (filesystem)
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included and not needed (grep)
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included and not needed (sed)
>

> This is the dependency line from the PKGBUILD
>
> depends=('glibc' 'filesystem' 'grep' 'sed')
>

> What is namcap telling me ?
>
> Could fakeroot be built from a PKGBUILD without those dependencies?
> And is missing the bash dependency?

Namcap is telling you that the dependencies should include bash (or more
specifically sh).  That is a bug, so file a bug report and will I fix it
next update.

As far as glibc goes, it is probably satisifed by another package in
fakeroots dep list (e.g. grep).  It is somewhat good to reduced the
number of listed dpes if possible as pacman has to do less checking when
installed.  So that is just a warning.

The filesystem, grep and sed issues say that fakeroot does not appear to
need these packages.  But it does...  look at the commands in the
install script.

Namcap is a good guideline, but it requires the user to do some
investigation themself.  Missing deps are almost always an error.

Allan