[arch-general] namcap

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon May 25 07:07:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 06:50 +0000, Baho Utot wrote:
> I tried namcap a freshly built fakeroot from the latest abs sync
>
> Here is what it said
>
> namcap fakeroot-1.12.2-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> fakeroot   E: Dependency detected and not included (bash) from files
> ['usr/bin/fakeroot']
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included but already satisfied (glibc)
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included and not needed (filesystem)
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included and not needed (grep)
> fakeroot   W: Dependency included and not needed (sed)
>

> This is the dependency line from the PKGBUILD
>
> depends=('glibc' 'filesystem' 'grep' 'sed')
>

> What is namcap telling me ?
>
> Could fakeroot be built from a PKGBUILD without those dependencies?
> And is missing the bash dependency?

The package uses grep and sed in the .install scriptlet. Sed is also
used by the fakeroot binary itself. As fakeroot is a shell script, bash
or any other shell that provides /bin/sh is actually a dependency
(though usually we don't list it because a system without /bin/sh isn't
bootable anyways).
The filesystem package is a dependency because it
contains /etc/ld.so.conf, which is edited from post_install.

Note that namcap isn't the holy grail, it's used to detect direct
linking dependency. Besides using namcap, you should also use common
sense to interpret the results of namcap.