[arch-general] syslog-ng build error

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed May 27 20:13:02 EDT 2009

Baho Utot wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 20:59 -0300, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>
>> Baho Utot wrote:
>>
>>> Making syslog-ng 3.0.1-6 i686 in Clean Chroot
>>>
>>> gcc  -march=athlon -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall   -o syslog-ng
>>> main.o libsyslog-ng.a   -lrt -lnsl  -Wl,-Bstatic -lfl -lglib-2.0
>>> -levtlog   -lssl -lcrypto -lz  -lz  -lwrap -lcap -lpcre  -Wl,-Bdynamic
>>> -ldl
>>> What is -lcap ?
>>>
>>> Is it looking for a static lib cap?
>>>

>> Yes I just talked about this with Hugo doria
>>
>> syslog-ng needs libcap as static as others libs like glib2 openssl zlib,
>> eventlog, etc... because is compiled in mixed mode
>>
>> So there are important issue here:
>>
>> many deps (that need to be in the [core], small binary
>>
>> VS
>> (the current behaviour)
>> few deps (only glibc), big binary (~2MB) + security issues (if any of
>> static lib is afected and this pkg inst recompiled) + more memory usage
>> (this is very small in these days of course)
>>

>> Also there is an open task for this without attention [#1]
>>

>> [#1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14214
>>

> So I need to patch?

No, for now, just compile libcap with static lib, (in PKGBUILD there is
a rm that delete this static lib) so comment it.

In any way, I would like to know the opinion of the developers. If you
continue with the current compilation of syslog-ng (mixed) or move to a
fully shared.
And if continue in mixed mode, if any of lib that uses as static is
updated, then the syslog-ng should be marked as "out-of-date", like for
example now, with the recent update to glib2.

;)

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar