[arch-general] Mayday - Installed Fresh Archlinux on Laptop - Resolution stuck 1152x864, need 1440x900??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Nov 4 05:40:16 EST 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009 23:31:20 David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> New drive for my laptop so I dedicated it to Arch. Net install with 2009.08 went fine (although there really should be a warning when you leave install WITHOUT configuring the bootloader). [the /arch/setup menu autoadvances when you leave Configure System and if you click Done and downarrow anticipating moving to the next item,  you can easily miss configuring the bootloader (I did ;-)]
>
> The problem I have is that my laptop is stuck in 1152x864 resolution. For the text install that is fantastic, but when you start kde -- not so good. (should be 1440x900) The card is an RS690M (radeon 1200) and the radeon driver was loaded by default. The modules configured are:
>
> 22:46 alchemy:~> lsmod | grep rad
> radeon                716352  1
> ttm                    43776  1 radeon
> drm                   191392  2 radeon,ttm
> i2c_algo_bit            6980  1 radeon
> i2c_core               25664  4 radeon,i2c_piix4,drm,i2c_algo_bit
>
> THE WEIRD PART...
>
> I have Arch on the drive I just took out and it goes to 1440x900 just fine.
>
> I am not using an xorg.conf, so I am pretty much at X's mercy. I use /etc/rc.d/kdm start from runlevel 3 to start kdm. It goes to 1152x864 instead of 1440x900. I don't understand how to control the new KMS stuff. I have check the kde4 settings for Display Size and Orientations, but the maximum allowed is 1152x864:
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/bugs/kde4/kde4-syssettings-display.jpg
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/bugs/kde4/kde4-syssettings-1164.png
>
> What is the trick?
>
> Also, when I try to start xdm from inittab with the default x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon
> I get the disabling for 5 seconds, respawning too fast error. So, what's the trick here? I bet there related...
>
> I have put the Xorg.0.log on the server as well:
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/bugs/kde4/Xorg.0.log
>
> It looks like the dang thing is using the vesa driver?? I'll add radeon to modules, but It's loaded already so I don't think that's going to help. Anybody know what's happening here? This is the first install where I haven't installed KDE3, so i don't know if that is a part of the issue either.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need to see anything else, just let me know.  Thanks.

Listmates, I have more info. It looks like an xdpy problem:

screen #0:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1152x864 pixels (370x231 millimeters)
  resolution:    79x95 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
  root window id:    0x101
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
  largest cursor:    1152x864
  current input event mask:    0x5a403c
    ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask
    LeaveWindowMask          KeymapStateMask          StructureNotifyMask
    SubstructureNotifyMask   SubstructureRedirectMask PropertyChangeMask
  number of visuals:    64
  default visual id:  0x21

resolutions should be 99x99. How do I fix this ??