[arch-general] Fresh install of 2009.08 -> hal, dbus, PK - no mount of usb for normal user (again...)

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Nov 5 10:20:25 EST 2009

On 11/05/2009 01:06 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I did a fresh install of 2009.08 on a new drive for my laptop. For
> the past 8 months, I have never gotten the freedesktop.org --
> removable policy to work. (well, maybe for a week or so before the
> kernel change in July). I wanted to make sure I got it right this
> time so I haven't monkeyed with the policies yet.
>
> In kde4, all of my removable devices are properly recognized (usb
> sticks, 2.5" laptop drives connected via usb, etc.). Despite being
> recognized properly,
>
> (1) the user cannot access the drives - until root has accessed them
> (like opening konqueror su)
>
> (2) none of the drives are mounted for the user under /media - until
> root has accessed them

> Thanks for any help you can give. Sincerely yours, "stumped by hal,
> dbus and PK. Rankin"

Here's what I did to get this working under KDE4 (and now Xfce):

* make sure dbus is running
* make sure hal is running
* use the stock /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf (i.e., remove any edits
you may have made)
* if you're using a login manager (or launch script) that doesn't
automatically invoke console kit for you (e.g., slim, /etc/inittab,
etc.), then launch your window manager session using ck-launch-session
(e.g., "exec ck-launch-session startkde")

That's it.  After following these directions, if I plug in an iPod, a
thumb drive, or even insert a CD, then KDE or Xfce will automatically
get notified about the new media, alert me accordingly, and allow me to
mount/browse the new device.

If this doesn't work for you, please feel free to email back with
details as to what failed.

HTH,

DR