[arch-general] Cannot set xattr

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 8 14:35:21 EST 2009

André Ramaciotti da Silva schrieb:
> I'm sorry, I think I wasn't very clear in my question. It isn't the
> default in Arch Linux because it isn't the default upstream,

Probably because we just set "defaults" in fstab and let the user worry
about the rest.

> but why it
> isn't the default upstream?
>
> My worry is that it's somehow related to dataloss, but I couldn't find any
> search result about it, so I'll assume it's secure. In the worst case, I
> have my (daily) backups :)

It is safe, these attributes just take some space. No idea why they
don't want these enabled by default. There are some applications that
need those attributes, I think beagle does, not sure.

In any case, if you use your own user.* xattr scheme, you should prefix
them by something to make sure the names are unique.