[arch-general] kde4 tip - quicklaunch in your panel -- convenience at your fingertips!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:41:23 EST 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 13:34:43 and regarding:
> I disagree.  The problems (at least from my perspective) stems from the
> KDE devs' decision to "start fresh" with all their apps in order to
> "simplify" them and/or apply their new philosophy/approach of desktop
> GUI design to them.
>
> That decision resulted in them dumping loads of features from out of
> their apps - features that many KDE3 users liked and relied on.  The
> result has been a less-useful and less-productive GUI.
>
> So really more of a problem with fundamental design decisions, IMO, than
> with their programming framework.

From that perspective I completely agree. Konqueror is the perfect example. An
elegant, very functional file manager (wannabe browser) that was packed with
tons of advanced features with a -->very<-- efficient UI (from a minimal
mouse-click/keystroke standpoint) with proper focus control that was
completely thrown out and redone based on the new untried and untested dolphin
engine. That has been a complete fiasco and left kde with a substandard file
manager that has no ability to place focus without using a 2-part ctrl+click
(with the cutsie green plus markers turned off)

The fish fiasco followed, and we could go on and on (162 bugs filed in the
past 4 months alone...) My purpose of commenting on the framework comes from
all of the problems the one-size-fits-all primary widget has caused getting
things working correctly. Probably 1/4 of the bugs above are from
misconfigured parts of the window widget that wipe out data if a change is
made to a dialog, or those that don't retain path settings, etc.

So I guess when you take a working desktop and throw it out the window and
then start over with an overly complex framework -- you have probably just
signed up to shoot yourself in the foot :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC