[arch-general] Entranced - Anybody Using It? I get it started, can enter name, but that's it.

Jeffrey Parke jeffrey.parke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 00:04:44 EST 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys
>
> I was trying to setup entranced on Arch. I followed the enlightenment.org
> wiki, but the arch setup for Xsession, etc. left me a little unsure on exactly
> where some of the entrance_edit path info should point.
>
> The Arch default for entrance_config.cfg is:
>
> Entrance Daemon Settings
>   attempts = 5
>   xserver = "/usr/bin/X -quiet -br -nolisten tcp vt7"
> Entrance Client Settings
>   xsession = "/etc/X11/Xsession"
>   auth = 1
>   engine = 0
>   reboot = 1
>   halt = 1
>   theme = "default.edj"
>   background = ""
>   pointer = "/usr/share/entrance/images/pointer.png"
>   greeting-before = "Welcome to"
>   greeting-after = ""
>   date-format = "%A %B %e, %Y"
>   time-format = "%l:%M:%S %p"
>   autologin-mode = 0
>   autologin-user = ""
>   presel-mode = 1
>   presel-prevuser = ""
>   user-remember = 1
>   user-remember-count = 5
>   user-count = 0
>   session-count = 2
>   default-session = "default"
>   default-session-title = "Default"
>   default-session-icon = "default.png"
>
> The 'xsession' line can't be right because Arch doesn't have
> "/etc/X11/Xsession". So I'm thinking that is the problem. The box is booting
> to runlevel 3 and all xdm/kdm startup in /etc/inittab are commented out. (the
> wiki said to disable all xdm and kdm) I have the daemons in rc.conf set to: ..
> alsa entranced famd) and entrance starts and display the default winter theme.
> All my desktops were listed (e16, e17, icewm, kde, lxde, openbox).  The
> username entry works and I can type my name in there, but the password line is
> grayed out and will accept no input. The little 'lock' icon and the '>'
> (right-arrow) below the password line are grayed out as well.
>
> When things wouldn't work, I just used ctrl+alt+f1 and /etc/rc.d/entranced
> stop to kill it and then just used kdm.

well the E17 wiki pages says:

    * */etc/inittab* - The recommended way

## Only one of the following two lines can be uncommented!
# Boot to console
#id:3:initdefault:
# Boot to X11
id:5:initdefault:

# Example lines for starting a login manager
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null
#x:5:once:/bin/su johndoe -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startx >/dev/null 2>&1"
x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/entranced --nodaemon >& /dev/null