[arch-general] ?rch x86_64 and i686 performance comparison

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Nov 11 11:18:12 EST 2009

Virtual machine performance is in no hell comparable to real machine
performance, not even for comparing between each other. Current VM
implementations generally run a lot faster on i686 guests because that's
what they have been optimized for mainly. I always found my x86_64 VMs
to be slower than i686 so this would go in hand with your own
observations. If you want to make a serious comparison, set up two fresh
chroots at least. Better yet, set up two partitions and do the tests
using a native kernel as well. You will probably see the opposite of
what you saw in the VMs. Especially for video encoding, x86_64 will be
noticeably faster.

-- Sven-Hendrik