[arch-general] arch x86_64 and i686 performance comparison

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Wed Nov 11 11:26:14 EST 2009

Excerpts from Sven-Hendrik Haase's message of Wednesday 11-Nov-09
05:18pm MST:

> If you want to make a serious comparison, set up
> two fresh chroots at least. Better yet, set up two partitions and do
> the tests using a native kernel as well.
I will do that. But the strange think is that I cannot find good reports
on such comparisons.

> You will probably see the
> opposite of what you saw in the VMs. Especially for video encoding,
> x86_64 will be noticeably faster.
I have done the testing on real hardware (Athlon 64) 4-5 years ago, and
the result was the same as today with VM.

Thanks,
Sergey