[arch-general] Frustrated with Crappy looking Firefox and OpenOffice GTK & QT themes?

Robert Howard rjh0507 at ecu.edu
Thu Nov 12 02:36:36 EST 2009

Have you tried the qtcurve unified theme? It's very nice and the GTK theme
matches the QT theme to just about every detail.

On Nov 12, 2009 2:09 AM, "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>
wrote:

After mucking around trying to get firefox and openoffice to look right, I
thought I would pass on a few tips. For those of you that know already, just
hit delete.

The dull boxy appearance of both GTK and some Qt apps left me scratching my
head for the right tools to fix the look. The normal qtconfig and gtk2_prefs
just didn't do it for all applications (like basket and other kde3 now sort
of
kde4 apps) Trial and error and google helped. The main tools are:

GTK Preferences (ff has both GTK and Qt)

 /usr/bin/gtk2_prefs    (themes and more)

 /usr/bin/gtk-chtheme   (change theme ** Don't over look this one)

Qt Preferences

 /usr/bin/qtconfig      (themes and more)

** also the gnome-control-center collects most of the tools for you in one
place. I don't use gnome, but I installed the control center for
convenience.

The packages involved are (with the addtional nice themes):

GTK TOOLS & ENGINES

gnome-control-center 2.28.1-1
gtk2_prefs 0.4.1-1
gtk 1.2.10-9
gtk2 2.18.3-2
gtk-kde4 0.9b-3
gtk-chtheme 0.3.1-4

gtk1-engines 0.12-2
gtk-engines 2.18.4-1
gtk-qt-engine 1.1-1
gtk-aurora-engine 1.5.1-1
gtk-engine-murrine 0.90.3-1
gtk-rezlooks-engine 0.6-8
gtk-smooth-engine 0.6.0.1-3

QT TOOLS & PACKAGES

qt3 3.3.8-13
qt 4.5.3-3
qtcurve-gtk2 0.69.2-1
qtcurve-kde3 0.69.1-1
qtcurve-kde4 0.69.2-1

THEMES

gnome-icon-theme 2.28.0-1
gnome-themes 2.28.1-1
gnome-themes-extras 2.22.0-1
murrine-themes-collection 20090906-1
qtcurve-gtk2 0.69.2-1

Install what you want, then just run gtk2_prefs and/or gtk-chtheme (if you
installed the additional themes), then finish up with qtconfig. You have to
shut down and restart you application for the changes to take effect, but
when
you are done, you will have some really good looking GTK and QT themes and
decorations. (you can even select Oxygen as your GTK and Qt theme)

The theme packages above have both light and dark themes. You can find some
additional/better themes at art.gnome.org

Here is an example of firefox and openoffice with the touch-ups applied
(60k):

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/fixes/gtk-qt-example.jpg

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.