[arch-general] MUA

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Nov 18 02:08:56 EST 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 11:07:08 and regarding:
> Mutt grows old and still doesn't do threads the way i want.
> i've tried sup, but find it too early in development. Especcially it is
> unusable slow.
>
> Can somone recommend another MUA?
>
> thanks

I've used about all of them from plain mailx to Thunderbird with all the bells
and whistles. It is really a find one you like issue. As long as you aren't
one of the nutballs that likes to compile C programs from within your mail
reader, then any of the current generation mailers will do.

I always hated kmail, but when I was doing the kde 4.3 beta stuff I forced
myself to use it for purposes of testing kontact and korganizer with groupware
integration -- and against my will, it really grew on me. All opinion aside,
there are some excellent technical features built in to kmail that I haven't
found anywere else.

Thunderbird - used it for years, still maintain a "master copy" of important
emails in it, but I hate to admit it -- kmail has it beat in UI efficiency.

I've just used evolution a couple of times, so I don't know enough to comment
on it. I have it configured in my gnome desktop under my theory of (use the
native tools - dummy), but I just can't tell you more right now.

Alpine - if you are working from the cli works great, full featured and
supports gpg encryption. Until I figured out relay hosts in postfix, I used
pine/alpine all the time for email when I was connecting from outside my ISP's
network.

There are a lot of good packages out there, you just have to find the one that
fits your tastes and needs.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC