[arch-general] Plasma segmentation faults

Bram Schoenmakers lists at bramschoenmakers.nl
Tue Oct 6 10:33:11 EDT 2009

2009/10/6 Lars Tennstedt <oss at larstennstedt.de>:

Hi Lars,

> Hello,
>
> Plasma crashes several times a day on my Arch Linux installation (32 bit)
> with a segmentation fault and recovers immediately. The problem has been
> occured since the release of version 4.3.0. I did not remember such a
> problem using version 4.2.x. My system is up-to-date, installed software is
> taken only from the official repositories core, extra and community, the
> desktop effects are enabled and the graphics card driver is the nvidia
> closed source one. There is no bug report about this on bugs.archlinux.org.
> Does anybody have similar problems?
>
> Bye,
> Lars Tennstedt

It's hard to say what could cause this. Do you have any (3rd-party?)
plasmoids installed? Maybe it is caused by a misbehaving C++ Plasmoid,
so try to remove them one after another and see if the crashes
disappear.
Obtaining a backtrace is also handy in order to locate where the
problem is. But that requires you to rebuild the kdelibs and kdebase
packages, which may be time consuming.
Or, you could try if you see the same problem with kdemod, they offer
debug packages straight from the repository.

For the record, I have no problems with Plasma on two very different
machines (32bit and 64bit), both running KDEmod.

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
(Punch, 1855)