[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latest kernel update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:39:20 EDT 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 06:24:06 am Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:53 +0200, Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> > > After the latest kernel update, I cannot start X for the Arch box I
> > > have that has an onboard intel graphics card. (Dell 280GX sff) The
> > > errors are:
> > >
> > > 02:31 nirvana:/srv/www/download/Archlinux/bugs/supersff> grep "(EE)"
> > > Xorg.0.log
> > >        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> > > (EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)
> > > (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> >
> > this is not important
> >
> > looking at you log file it seems that X did start just fine
>
> And it exited fine also, so it's not X related.

I must have posted the Xorg from the wrong arch box. Here is what I'm seeing:

(WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
(II) intel(0): Output VGA disconnected
(WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
(EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC