[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latest kernel update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:16:48 EDT 2009

On Sunday 11 October 2009 03:33:57 am Jan Spakula wrote:
> Excerpts from David C. Rankin's message of So Okt 11 10:16:57 +0200 2009:
> > On Sunday 11 October 2009 03:10:15 am David C. Rankin wrote:
> > I'm back already. The wiki page must be out of date. It says to put the
> > following in modprobe.conf (which is deprecated):
> >
> >     options i915 modeset=1
> >
> > Now what??
>
> Put it in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (that's where I have it).

Jan, All,

What has changed with regard to the intel driver?? My box has been dead-in-
the-water since the 10/8 updates. Since then, I have set up KMS (both late and
early), I have added

options i915 modeset=1

to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

I have added the following to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

MODULES="... intel_agp i915"
FILES="... /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf"

I have rebuilt the initramfs with:

mkinitcpio -p kernel26

And still when I boot, the process gets to "Entering Runlevel 5", then the
screen flashes, the little circular X cursor appears for a second and the BAM
X crashes and I'm back to the terminal. I can't think of anything else to try.

The salt-in-the-wound is that this box worked perfectly before the Oct. 8
updates. I haven't seen a gui since then. Can anyone think of any reason that
X will not keep running after it starts? Latest Xorg.0.log at:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/supersff/Xorg.0.log

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC