[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latest kernel update

Thomas Bewick tombewick at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 06:45:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 16:16 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Sunday 11 October 2009 03:33:57 am Jan Spakula wrote:
> > Excerpts from David C. Rankin's message of So Okt 11 10:16:57 +0200 2009:
> > > On Sunday 11 October 2009 03:10:15 am David C. Rankin wrote:
> > > I'm back already. The wiki page must be out of date. It says to put the
> > > following in modprobe.conf (which is deprecated):
> > >
> > >     options i915 modeset=1
> > >
> > > Now what??
> >
> > Put it in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (that's where I have it).
> >

> Jan, All,
>
> What has changed with regard to the intel driver?? My box has been dead-in-
> the-water since the 10/8 updates. Since then, I have set up KMS (both late and
> early), I have added
>
> options i915 modeset=1
>
> to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
>
> I have added the following to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
>
> MODULES="... intel_agp i915"
> FILES="... /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf"
>
> I have rebuilt the initramfs with:
>
> mkinitcpio -p kernel26
>
> And still when I boot, the process gets to "Entering Runlevel 5", then the
> screen flashes, the little circular X cursor appears for a second and the BAM
> X crashes and I'm back to the terminal. I can't think of anything else to try.
>
> The salt-in-the-wound is that this box worked perfectly before the Oct. 8
> updates. I haven't seen a gui since then. Can anyone think of any reason that
> X will not keep running after it starts? Latest Xorg.0.log at:
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/supersff/Xorg.0.log

Hi, I am no developer and just joined the list and not that experienced
with Linux.
So, if this is totally off the wall please bear with me.
But I think I had a similar problem a few months back with Puppy Linux.

I had upgraded to a new version of Puppy with a new kernel and then
tried to install the same Nivida graphics driver for my Nvidia card that
I had stored on my hard drive, and X failed after I installed the
driver.
It was because the driver was for an older kernel and caused X to fail.
I had to get a new updated driver and reinstall and it.

Tom B