[arch-general] Arch Linux installation only with pacman

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 14 17:22:12 EDT 2009

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun schrieb:
>     Hello all!
>
>     I remember looking at the installation script about one year ago,
> and all it had done (to install the base packages), was to use pacman.
> Now if I try to use the same procedure now (or what I remember from
> it), I get a lot of errors from the install hooks (script-lets). I've
> tried to install them once without by disabling scriptlets, and then
> once more by using them, but the errors are still there.
>
>     So my question is: how can I install Arch Linux now, by having
> only a static built pacman? (I want to use this for an automated
> installation procedure for virtual machines.) (I think I've tried the
> procedure on the Wiki page with the same outcome.)
>
>     Thanks,
>     Ciprian Craciun.
>
>     P.S.: Maybe it's Ok to have those scriptlet errors?

Install to /mnt as root (provided you have a working pacman.conf in .)

# mkdir -p /mnt/var/lib/pacman/{local,sync}
# ./pacman.static --root /mnt --config ./pacman.conf -Sy base

That's it, all you need to do is configure the system (you need to know
how) and install a bootloader. I did this recently and the system worked
(it was a test system though, it's not in any productive use).

There will be _some_ errors from scriptlets in the beginning, but those
should be fine - you can paste the output here in case you are unsure.