[arch-general] Arch Linux installation only with pacman

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:20:05 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun
<ciprian.craciun at gmail.com> wrote:
>    Hello all!
>
>    I remember looking at the installation script about one year ago,
> and all it had done (to install the base packages), was to use pacman.
> Now if I try to use the same procedure now (or what I remember from
> it), I get a lot of errors from the install hooks (script-lets). I've
> tried to install them once without by disabling scriptlets, and then
> once more by using them, but the errors are still there.
>
>    So my question is: how can I install Arch Linux now, by having
> only a static built pacman? (I want to use this for an automated
> installation procedure for virtual machines.) (I think I've tried the
> procedure on the Wiki page with the same outcome.)
>
>    Thanks,
>    Ciprian Craciun.
>
>    P.S.: Maybe it's Ok to have those scriptlet errors?

It's easy with:
   pacman --root=/path/to/my/install -S base

You will get scriptlet errors, however. It can't be helped as there's
crazy dependency cycles happening. I think it might be safe to just
run the above command twice if you really want to make it clean