[arch-general] Kernel Updates & radeonhd -- what does that mean for me compiling the radeonhd from git?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 17 00:15:27 EDT 2009

Guys,

I don't know exactly how the kernel changes would effect me compiling and
installing the radeonhd module from the radeonhd git repository (if at all).
My question is "If I compile and install the radeonhd driver, will the new
kernel setup use my module or will it use so precompiled module that is built
into the kernel?"

In the past, for testing all I had to do was build drm and build the radeonhd
driver, install both and restart X. How does the new setup effect that?

Do I have to rebuild the initfs with mkinitcpio -p kernel26 every time I build
a new module like with the intel driver?

What say the gurus?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC