[arch-general] Latest Kernel Update Breaks kdm with Radeonhd (abterm of greeter) -- Requires Removal of xorg.conf

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 17 10:24:28 EDT 2009

On Saturday 17 October 2009 05:27:13 am Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:08:30 -0500
>
> schrieb "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I almost had a heartattack tonight when I updated my laptop and X
> > died. I though "oh no, here we go again -- the intel story all over
> > again..."
> >
> > So far performance is fine with the new setup. To be honest, I don't
> > even know what driver is being used at the moment (I haven't had time
> > to check. I thought I would get this post out in case some other
> > radeonhd user is freaking out after update). I have captured the
> > following information and I'm making it available to the devs if
> > anyone is interested in what happened here. This laptop is an old
> > Toshiba P205d (Radeon RS690M graphics card). The information I saved
> > is: (hostname is alchemy)
>
> From what this site http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature says, KMS
> seems to not yet (fully) support your card.
>
> You should add radeon.modeset=0 and probably a vga or vesafb options to
> your kernel parameters in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> As far as I read KMS for radeonhd cards is planned for kernel 2.6.32.
>
> Heiko

Heiko,

	Thanks for the information. With the kde3 greeter, things are working great
without setting radeon.modeset=0 and the resolution is the correct 1440x900.
Color is good performance is equal to the old way of loading the radeonhd.ko
module. The problem is the kde4 greeter crashes. I'm happy to stick with the
kde3 greeter until this problem is fixed.

	Would it help for me to open a ticket to capture this information somewhere
for Arch?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC