[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latestkernel update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 17 00:19:35 EDT 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009 04:20:45 pm Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> > The fbcon is the Biggie!. But that is now some compiled into the kernel
> > magic that I'm pretty much at a loss to deal with. I installed
> > xf86-video-fbdev and the fbdev error is gone, but as others correctly
> > said, that wasn't the problem.
>
> fbcon is the framebuffer console,i.e. a module that provides a console
> over a framebuffer device (as opposed to the VGA console). It
> shouldn't be an issue for anything X related.
>
> > The only thing I am 100% certain of at this point is there is a problem
> > somewhere because the box worked great up until I did the update on 10/8
> > and I haven't seen kde since...
> >
> > I'm sure it's something simple that just needs to be fixed in the kernel
> > or in one of the modules. But I am equally sure that it will take someone
> > much smarter than I on the kernel or module at issue to do it :p
>
> Does you KDE work if you try to log in as a new clean user?

No, I can't even get X to start -- period. Not at me, not as root, not as a
fresh user created with useradd, nothing. X is just completely broken on this
box and I'm really at a loss as to how to fix it. I'm usually great with
dealing with X issues. I've build it, mesa, drm from scratch before without
issue. What is killing me is I don't understand how moving the module into the
kernel (this KMS thing) changes or complicates that process so I'm just kind
of spinning my wheels at this point :-(

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC