[arch-general] X fails to start with intel card after latestkernel update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Oct 17 00:23:32 EDT 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009 07:30:51 pm Dario wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In data venerdì 16 ottobre 2009 23:20:45, Damjan Georgievski ha scritto:
> > Does you KDE work if you try to log in as a new clean user?
>
> I'd also try to use another login manager, if you haven't tried this way
>  yet, trying another desktop environment and trying to use the standard
>  vesa driver in your xorg.conf (I think vesa will run on every video card,
>  isn't it?).
>
> My odd bug related to xorg resetting (with no error) when pressing Enter
>  was related to KDM, and the next kde-something update resolved it. Ok,
>  maybe it's not related, but who knows?:)
>
> ciao!
>
> Dario

Dario, I just went though that with the radeonhd driver and removing xorg.conf
and using the kdm3 (kde3) greeter is the only way X will start now on my
laptop. I have tried both kdm and kdm3 on the dell GX280 box (with the intel
card) and nothing works. X just will not run (starts, crashes, exits)

Like I've said before, I've worked through the wiki and tried both the "early
start" and "late start" methods -- no help. I was hoping the strace of startx
I posted with the bug report would help diagnose it. I'll go follow up there
and see. Thanks for your help and if you think of anything else, let me know.

I'll try anything at this poing :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC