[arch-general] X dead with intel video - what provides module "fbcon"

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Oct 18 00:02:21 EDT 2009

On Saturday 17 October 2009 07:33:56 pm Dario wrote:

> You have to reconfigure the kernel, then recompile it, and finally run
> mkinitcpio. Configuring the kernel is not such an hard task (I used to do
>  it at every update on my previous Slackware box), besides, I think that
>  you can keep everything as it is now in the standard arch configuration
>  except, as someone else said, activating, somewhere in the kernel
>  configuration, fbcon as a module. Then you can run the X server and
>  telling us about the next fatal error:)

Well, I know how to do it on SuSE, but I'll have to hit the wiki for the Arch
way. With SuSE it was just:

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make cloneconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
<edit the config as needed>
make modules_prepare
make clean

I'll report back after I figure it out... and hopefully I'll have the next
fatal error in hand :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC