[arch-general] Why does kde4 over vnc look bad if host is Arch, looks fine if suse?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:31:26 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 11:14:02 pm David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2009 09:56:29 pm Byron Clark wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 09:50:53PM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > > You are 100% correct, suse had RENDER enable, arch doesn't. How do I
> > > enable RENDER on Arch?
> >
> > You'll need a vnc server that supports the RENDER extension.
> > xf4vnc-xvnc should work.
>
> Hmm, it conflicts with tightvnc on Arch. Can't I just rebuilt tightvnc with
> RENDER enabled? Evidently it is build with RENDER on suse, so I guess it
> should be possible. The reason being, I kind of like to keep the utilities
>  the same across all the boxes I have (save mental storage space).
>
> I'll give it a shot, if it doesn't work for some reason, I'll see about
> building tightvnc with RENDER enabled.
>
> Thanks for you help tonight!

I used the workaround at:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tightvnc

and it doesn't really work. RENDER is there and rendering is "better", but you
still have artifacts on the screen and the plasma panel is cut in half:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/archlinux/arch-kde4overvnc-
xf4vnc.jpg

I'll look at trying to rebuild tightvnc. Arch should fix the missing 'vnc...'
scripts with the Xvnc package so it is usable and should also fix the tightvnc
package so it is built with RENDER. If I'm successful, I'll have somebody walk
me through putting the package in AUR or adding it to the community
repository. In the interim if the maintainer takes the initiative, we can all
rest easy knowing we will get a correctly built package :D

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC