[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Jozsef jozefk at gmx.com
Mon Oct 26 07:19:06 EDT 2009

On 26 Oct 2009 at 11:57, RedShift wrote:

> This thread will probably erupt in a massive flamewar, yet I decided to post my
> story anyway. I am talking about the desktop experience in general, not the
> technical details behind it. Keep that in mind.
>

> I've been working these past few months with KDE 4.3 and it feels very sluggish
> and incomplete. I can't enable the desktop effects because that makes things
> even slower. I'm doing this on a fairly decent setup, an AMD Sempron 2 Ghz with
> an nVidia FX5500. My laptop suffers from this sluggishness as well. On top of
> that, lots of things annoy me in KDE 4.3, see the end of this post for my top
> annoyances. Yesterday I had to reboot to my Windows XP installation on this
> computer and I was shocked when I arrived in XP's userland. Everything was
> ridiculously fast. When returning to my linux desktop everything felt even more
> sluggish. That's when I decided to go back to KDE 3.5. I restored my old KDE 3.5
> profile, installed the necessary packages and logged back in. WOOOOOF,
> everything is fast again. Opening new windows is instantaneous, hell even
> bringing up context menus is faster. If Linux is that much better, why does the
> current Linux desktop (KDE 4.3) still suck compared to an operating system
> that's 8 years old?
>
> Last week I also had the chance to check out Windows 7, and I was stumped. I was
> genuinly impressed by Windows 7's GUI. It feels fast, works fluently, it has
> nice effects which just work and work FAST. When browsing around it felt like a
> very solid desktop environment. I am jealous. I really am. The thought of
> using Windows 7 in favor of KDE 4.3 has occured to me much more than I like. And
> it's little things like dragging the windows to the top of the screen makes them
> maximized, dragging them to the left makes the take exactly 50% of the screen.
> How many times have you been manually resizing windows to fit next to each
> other? I have, too many times. These are things that really improve your
> productivity.
>

> So when should we have started working at a better desktop environment for
> Linux?
>
> When Mac OS X came out. When was that again? 2001. Yes, it really was that long
> ago. It already had awesome desktop effects that just work on (compared to these
> days) VERY modest hardware. And it worked fast as well. It was and still is a
> solid desktop environment. From that point on the Linux community should have
> recognized the threat Mac OS X was for the desktop environment. Unfortunately
> nobody did and we went on creating a big mess, fighting over implementations and
> technical details instead of attempting to create a solid desktop environment.
>
> Yet we did have a second chance in 2007. Microsoft obviously screwed up with
> Windows Vista, we had the chance to win back alot of terrain here until the
> release of Windows 7. So what did we come up with? KDE 4. Yes, a big
> [...]

I guess you are right about everything. As a desktop Windows is
better than KDE. If desktop is all that is matter for you then you
should go for it :)

By the way Alt+F2 is something I like in KDE4.3.2 for example. What
about you? Is there anything you like in KDE4.3?

I think it's always good to see things you like and to try to be
positive even if KDE4.3 sucks.

Thanks for the message.