[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Mon Oct 26 07:35:58 EDT 2009

Jozsef wrote:
> I guess you are right about everything. As a desktop Windows is
> better than KDE. If desktop is all that is matter for you then you
> should go for it :)
>
> By the way Alt+F2 is something I like in KDE4.3.2 for example. What
> about you? Is there anything you like in KDE4.3?
>
> I think it's always good to see things you like and to try to be
> positive even if KDE4.3 sucks.

Of course there are things I like about KDE 4.3. A few examples:

* The desktop effects are integrated into the window manager. No more messing around with compiz
* When those effects are enabled, you do have cool things like a window preview when hovering the taskbar. This is what I miss most
* You can fetch external themes, backgrounds, color schemes, etc... directly from within the applets that are responsible for those settings. No more searching around the web for nice themes, no more installing in obscure locations, it's now all done for you
* I really like the concept plasma brings to the desktop
* The KDE team has provided measures to "turn back the clock" (classic start menu, classic desktop)
* Lots of KDE software runs under windows. This brings kate, my favorite editor, to the windows desktop
* KDE still has better abstraction of file locations than windows or gnome

However, for me, the negatives unfortunatly outweigh the positives. For the most part, because they don't really enhance my productivity.

Glenn