[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:39:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM, RedShift <redshift at pandora.be> wrote:
> This thread will probably erupt in a massive flamewar, yet I decided to post
> my
> story anyway. I am talking about the desktop experience in general, not the
> technical details behind it. Keep that in mind.

Nice job, you turned a "kde 4 sucks" into a "linux vs windows desktop
flamewar". :)

What about getting productive, and reporting nicely your bug report
and feature request to the kde developer ?

> And
> it's little things like dragging the windows to the top of the screen makes
> them
> maximized, dragging them to the left makes the take exactly 50% of the
> screen.
> How many times have you been manually resizing windows to fit next to each
> other? I have, too many times. These are things that really improve your
> productivity.

If you were not so single minded with KDE, you might realize there are
many wm which address this problem much more nicely than windows, at
least in my opinion.
Of course you can disagree and not like the alternatives, but you
still have to take that into account if you want to do a serious
comparison.