[arch-general] We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 26 10:53:28 EDT 2009

RedShift schrieb:
> This thread will probably erupt in a massive flamewar, yet I decided to
> post my
> story anyway. I am talking about the desktop experience in general, not the
> technical details behind it. Keep that in mind.
>

> I've been working these past few months with KDE 4.3 and it feels very
> sluggish
> and incomplete. I can't enable the desktop effects because that makes
> things
> even slower. I'm doing this on a fairly decent setup, an AMD Sempron 2
> Ghz with
> an nVidia FX5500. My laptop suffers from this sluggishness as well. On
> top of
> that, lots of things annoy me in KDE 4.3, see the end of this post for
> my top
> annoyances.

I stopped reading here, as everything after that is probably shit anyway.

Suffice it to say: Blame nvidia - KDE4/QT4 is (despite it being
supposedly fixed) still amazingly slow on nvidia, my desktop with a
8500GT feels sluggish too. On a bunch of SuSE machines at work (all with
nvidia), it is just as slow.

On my laptop with intel 2.9, everything is as fast as you can get.